As demanded by my social media followers here is my recipe for these deliciously short biscuits with sticky sweet chewy strawberry jam are a throwback to my childhood in England, Such wonderful memories and such a decadent treat.
Shortbread dough recipe:
250g Butter (room temperature)
125g Caster Sugar
375g Plain flour
1 egg yolk
1 Pinch salt
200g Strawberry jam blended
1. cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy
2. sift in the flour and salt slowly mix together till all the flour is incorporated, add the egg yolk and knead lightly do not overwork
3. Divide the dough in 2 and wrap put in the fridge for 1 hour to rest.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 175C
5. Lightly work the dough, roll out, to 3 mm thick use a 5 cm fluted cutter cut out disks, repeat with leftover dough until all is used up.
6. Use either a small 1 cm fluted cutter or any small shaped cutter in the middle of half of the disks, lay all on non-stick mat or greaseproof paper,
7. Bake for 12 minutes leave rest on the tray for a few minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack.
8. Turn the oven up to 185C,
9. put a 1/2 tsp of jam in the centre of each full biscuit, then put the top disk with the cut out on top making sure there is some jam between the layers and some mounded over the hole.
10. When all the biscuits are sandwiched together put back in the oven and bake for 3-5 minutes. leave to cool and ENJOY in moderation.... if you can!!
The How To... section will have recipes, handy cooking tips & dish ideas, inspired by what I eat, make & try. I invite your suggestions in and I will put my spin on the recipe and publish