This was my first attempt at making some Ukrainian Borsch, I put it on as a special after it was requested by one of my customers, Natalie Troy. it was a great little exercise and it rounds out nicely with the pickled cabbage, fresh green peppers and Creme fraiche. Enjoy
1. Dice and fry the bacon in the olive oil till crisp, remove from the pan and add the onion, cook for 5-10 minutes.
2. Then add the garlic and carrots cook for a further 5-10 minutes lightly season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the dried chilli, tomato paste and potatoes cook for a further 3-5 minutes, put the crispy bacon back in the pot.
4. Add the Italian crushed tomatoes and bring to the boil, then add the chicken stock and horseradish bring to the boil and simmer until everything is just cooked but still holds its shape.
5. Taste season and adjust if necessary.
The How To... section will have recipes, handy cooking tips & dish ideas, inspired by what I eat, make & try. I invite your suggestions in and I will put my spin on the recipe and publish